The Leo Cussen Practical Legal Training (PLT) program is designed for JD and LLB graduates seeking admission to the legal profession as an Australian Lawyer. Graduates of our PLT course are awarded a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (GDLP).
Completion of Practical Legal Training is a prerequisite for admission to the Australian legal profession.
With over 45 years of experience in the delivery of legal training, Leo Cussen Centre for Law is recognised by the legal profession as a centre of excellence in legal education.
Our next course starts in July 2020
Vic Flexible Onsite full time – designed for those who prefer more face-to-face interaction and a more structured schedule of learning . 2 days onsite, 3 days online during 21 weeks of coursework, plus three weeks’ professional placement*. Starts July.
Vic Online full time – designed for those who prefer self-paced learning and a more flexible schedule. This course can be completed wholly online in 2020, or you can come onsite for some of the face-to-face days. 21 weeks of coursework, including 13 days face-to-face (attended online or onsite), and three weeks’ professional placement*. Starts July.
Vic Online part-time – designed for those need more time to complete their PLT due to work, family or other commitments, this course is also for those who enjoy self-paced learning and a more flexible schedule. During 2020 this course will be available wholly online with options to attend onsite. 42 weeks of coursework, including 16 days face-to-face (available online during 2020), and three weeks’ professional placement*. Starts July.
WA Online full time – designed for those who prefer self-paced learning and a more flexible schedule. During 2020 this course will be available wholly online. 21 weeks of coursework, including 13 days face-to-face (available online in 2020), and either:
- 4 weeks of professional placement plus a 5-week equivalent additional coursework Career and Profession Ready Module which may be completed concurrently *; or
- 9 weeks of professional placement *.
*The requirement for professional placement in all our courses can be substituted by an online component during 2020.
- A unique and honourable history of contribution to our profession
- Training graduates to become great lawyers since 1972
- A priceless reputation among legal employers for high quality, comprehensive training
- Sponsor a graduate to do PLT
- Provide a three-week placement to a trainee (or four-week placement, if based in WA)
- Employ a Leo Cussen graduate
Leo Cussen’s mission is to provide comprehensive and quality practical training to law graduates leading to their admission to the legal profession as Australian lawyers.
We aim to provide best practice training and assessment in skills and substantive law for entry-level lawyers that:
- goes beyond the National Competency Standards for Entry Level Lawyers
- provides a broad range of training and assessment in general legal skills and ‘how to’ skills for specific areas of legal practice
- provides transferable skills to support diverse professional workplace contexts
We believe that:
- PLT acts as a bridge between academic learning and legal practice.
- PLT should have its emphasis in learning by doing and the development of practical skills in the context of matters and situations that will be encountered in legal practice.
- PLT should integrate the teaching of skills, ethics, substance, practice and procedure in the context of a series of simulated files that are based on routine transactions.
- PLT should approximate the reality of practice to the fullest extent practicable.