Congratulations on taking the first step to becoming a qualified Australian lawyer!
You may be wondering what happens now you’ve enrolled and how best to prepare for the start of your PLT in 2023.
To help with this, we’ve put together some of the most common questions we receive from law grads just like you. And we have all the answers you need.
So, sit back, relax and take the next 3 minutes to bring yourself up to speed.
1. Do I need to do anything else to confirm my enrolment?
We’re so pleased to tell you that your spot in the PLT program is locked in!
If you have some outstanding documents such as a final transcript, you can get it to us before your first day of PLT. We’ll stay in touch with you to let you know if there’s any other documents we require. You’ll also receive a formal confirmation letter from our enrolments team once we have everything we need from you.
In the week leading up to your PLT start date, you’ll receive an email inviting you to log in to our Learning Management System, Brightspace. While most of the course content won’t be available until the start date, you’ll be able to log in to your program early to get a feel for the learning environment.
2. Do I need to do any preparation or reading before my first day of PLT?
The short answer is ‘no’. Our program simulates the experience of being a graduate in a best practice national law firm, so you won’t have any pre-reading to do as you’ll be working on client matters in much the same way as when you commence your legal career. This, of course, is under the guidance of your mentor and supervising lawyer.
3. What will my first couple of weeks of PLT look like? What will I do in the program?
As our program simulates a graduate program in a law firm, you’ll take part in 5 rotations across the program. The first rotation is an Induction to Legal Practice, which will help you transition from law school to practising law.
The program is easy to navigate and broken down into microlessons so you’ll be learning as you go, and your focus will be on working through each client matter. And while the cases are based on real facts, your clients are all fictitious – so it’s a safe space to learn!
Here is a diagram of how it all comes together:
4. What happens with my PLT placement?
Everyone undertaking the PLT program must do a 15-day placement (20 days in WA).
The options are as follows:
- Find your own placement with support and guidance from Leo Cussen’s career team OR
- Leo Cussen can organise your placement for an additional cost. We’ll work with you to find a placement that aligns with your preferred areas of law. At Leo Cussen, we have an extensive network to help you complete your placement. These include relationships with law firms, in-house legal teams, community legal centres and government departments.
More information on placements will be provided at the beginning of your PLT program, and you’ll be able to choose the option that best suits you.
5. What’s Leo Justice Lab and how does it work?
One of the components of the PLT program is the Leo Justice Lab. Here, we partner with organisations requiring a solution to an access-to-justice issue while developing skills for the future of law. You’ll get an opportunity within your PLT program to innovate for impact. This is the first program of its kind for PLT in Australia.
6. What do I wear to PLT for onsite and immersives?
As the saying goes, dress for the job you want. Business attire is the requirement for onsite and blended PLT programs, and any time you come into one of our locations.
7. How can I stay connected before PLT commences?
From the time you enrol to your first day of PLT, you’ll hear from us regularly with updates, tips and invitations to events, so keep an eye on your email.
Our next event is coming up in late January. Let’s Talk Careers in Law. You won’t want to miss this.
8. If I have questions or need support before I start, how do I get in touch?
We’re really looking forward to helping you be the Whole Lawyer and launch your career in law.