The Leo Cussen Practical Legal Training Course
Leo Cussen Centre for Law offers a course of practical legal training for LLB graduates (or equivalent) leading to admission to the legal profession as an Australian Lawyer. This training can be undertaken either as ‘supervised legal training’ known as Traineeships (VIC), or in a course such as the Leo Cussen Practical Legal Training Course.
The Leo Cussen Centre for Law PLT course, leading to the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, is approved by the Victorian Legal Admissions Board and the Legal Practice Board of WA, and is recognised by the legal profession as providing comprehensive and quality training. The course is delivered in both an onsite and online (blended learning) mode.
The online course is also offered part-time.
Next course starts in July 2019!
- Vic Onsite – 21 weeks of formal training, 9am-5pm, Mon-Fri, and three weeks’ professional placement; two courses per year.
- Vic Online full time – 21 weeks of formal training, including 13 days face-to-face onsite, and three weeks’ professional placement. Two courses per year.
- WA Online full time – 21 weeks of formal training, which includes 13 days of onsite and intensive, face-to-face sessions.
- And either:
- 4 weeks of professional placement plus a 5-week equivalent additional coursework Career and Profession Ready Module which may be completed concurrently with the formal training and/or professional placement; or
- 9 weeks of professional placement (if exempted from the Career and Profession Ready Module). Two courses per year.
- And either:
- Vic Online part-time – same course structure as online but runs for 42 weeks, including 18 days face-to-face onsite, and three weeks’ professional placement.
On this page you will find detailed information specific to our PLT courses, including eligibility, attendance obligations, selection criteria, vital dates, fee information and much more.
After all, what do we think makes us special that you should choose Leo Cussen?
- Onsite or online – choose the course that suits you
- Learning by doing – simulated files, registry, bank – PLT is like a real work environment
- No theoretical exams – GDLP assessment reflects actual workplace experience
- Career support – dedicated Graduate Placement and Careers Advisor to help with job search and preparation
- Collegial – Leo Cussen PLT is challenging but also friendly and supportive
- Mentoring – you receive constant one-on-one guidance from experienced lawyers
- Visiting leading professionals – for quality training in small groups
- Onsite PLT – Victoria’s only full-time course, with arranged placement
- Wide Areas of Practice – covered fully under in our Course Structure page
- Leo Cussen offers more than the required minimum training
- Gain knowledge, skills and confidence
- Have greater choice as you enter the legal profession
- Training graduates to become good lawyers since 1972
- A priceless reputation among legal employers for high quality, comprehensive training
- A unique and honourable history
- Sponsor a graduate to do PLT
- Provide a three-week placement to a trainee (or four-week placement, if based in WA)
- Employ a Leo Cussen graduate
Leo Cussen’s mission is to provide comprehensive and quality practical training to law graduates leading to their admission to the legal profession as Australian lawyers.
We aim to provide best practice training and assessment in skills and substantive law for entry-level lawyers that:
- covers completely the National Competency Standards for Entry Level Lawyers
- provides a broad range of training and assessment in skills and substantive law for entry-level lawyers
- provides transferable skills in the knowledge, given that the legal profession comprises diverse professional workplace contexts
Constant, relevant objectives are that:
- PLT acts as a bridge between academic learning and legal practice.
- PLT should have its emphasis in learning by doing and the development of practical skills in the context of matters and situations that will be encountered in legal practice.
- PLT should integrate the teaching of skills, ethics, substance, practice and procedure in the context of a series of simulated files that are based on routine transactions.
- PLT should approximate the reality of practice to the fullest extent practicable.
Come along to our next Information Session to find out more about our onsite and online Practical Legal Training (PLT) program. Listen to detailed presentations about the course, meet with current trainees and listen to a panel discussion from our alumni/graduates. Refreshments will be provided.
Information Session Video
Our most recent Info Session – 11 October 2018